Frequently Asked Questions

What are my civil rights?

Your civil rights are the rights and guarantees that everyone has in the United States regardless of nationality, immigration status, gender, race or religion.  Furthermore, see the Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights of Georgia on the Legal Program’s page.


Is your agency linked with the police and/or government?

CFVC is a private, non-profit organization, and not a government agency.


Would you call the police if I disclose physical abuse against me?

No.  We practice strict confidentiality.  If you wish for us to assist you to communicate with law enforcement we will assist you, but we need your written consent.


I do not speak fluent English or Spanish. Can I get assistance from the Multicultural Program?

Yes. We have assisted victims from over 50 different countries around the world. We work closely with interpreters and other agencies in order to offer linguistic and culturally appropriate services.


Do I need to disclose my identity when calling the crisis line or your office?

No. If you do not wish to disclose your name we will listen to you and do our best answering your questions.


Do I need immigration documents to access your services?

No. CFVC never requests proof of your immigration status nor any form of ID in order to provide services.


Do I need to leave my abusive partner to obtain services from your agency?

No. We offer our services to victims in any stage of their situation. If you are still living with an abusive person and you are not ready to leave, we would work with you so you can be safer. If you decide to leave the abuse, we would also help you in this process.   And, if you have already fled an abusive situation, as a survivor you are also welcome.

If you are not a direct victim, but you would like to help someone who is being abused, you can also access our services for consultation.


Do I need an appointment to speak with a Multicultural Advocate?

Our offices are open Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and walk-ins are welcome. However, we highly recommend calling our office first to make sure an advocate is expecting you and can give you adequate time.  Remember that you can also call the English or Spanish crisis lines.


Do you charge for your services?

All of the services we provide are free of charge.


What does the shelter provide?

Our shelter provides emergency housing for women and children fleeing domestic violence. Our shelter is free of charge, and provides women the opportunity to stay in a safe environment while fleeing an abusive relationship.  Please read more detailed information about our shelter on the Shelter Program page of this website.


What is a TPO & how do I obtain one?

TPO stands for Temporary Protective Order and is a civil court order that limits the contact that an abusive person can have with the victim.  The TPO grants different types of relief.  To learn more about obtaining a TPO please read the frequently asked questions on the Legal Program page of this website.


Can I get a TPO if I do not have immigration documents?

Yes. Obtaining a TPO is a civil action and not related to a person’s immigration status.


I am in an abusive relationship with a U.S citizen and he tells me that I am undocumented and if I seek help he will have me deported.  Can he do that?

Using immigration status to control a victim is very common; you are not alone.

Domestic violence is a crime and undocumented victims have the right to be protected by law enforcement and in both civil and criminal courts.


What immigration relief options are available for victims and survivors of domestic violence?

The VAWA Self –Petition can remove the abusive spouse’s power of being the petitioner for the adjustment of your immigration status and, if granted, the victim may be eligible to obtain legal permanent residency or a “green card”.  The VAWA self-petition may stop or delay deportation proceedings and it is important to understand that USCIS maintains confidentiality and does not disclose to the abusive spouse the petitioner’s intent to obtain relief. The victim does not need to be separated from the abuser while the petition is under consideration.  However, the victim must apply no later than 2 years after divorcing the abusive spouse.

The U Non-Immigrant Status may be obtained by an eligible victim of a qualifying crime (including domestic violence) who has been, is being, or is likely to be helpful in to the investigation, prosecution, conviction or sentencing of the perpetrator of the crime, and who has suffered  substantial physical or mental abuse as result of the victimization.

The U Non Immigrant Status was created by congress in 2000 to:

Increase prosecution of perpetrators of crimes against immigrant victims.

Increase immigrant victim crime reporting.

Minimize fear of deportation for immigrant victims of crime.

Enhance victim safety and keep communities safe.

Please note that each person’s immigration circumstances are unique. You can make an appointment with one of our BIA Accredited Staff to discuss your options involving immigration relief. We work only with victims of domestic violence. If you are a victim of a different crime please contact an immigration lawyer. There is more detailed information about immigrant victims’ options in the USCIS official website:


Do you offer English as a Second Language classes?

No, but we can refer you to local agencies which offer English classes.